Saturday, July 16, 2011

Chad Kelly Talks Clemson With EyeOnTheTigers

Chad Kelly

  Clemson fans are crazy about Clemson Tiger football, and everything associated with it!  Earlier today, EyeOnTheTigers finished an interview with 2012 QB, Chad Kelly. Kelly had a lot of things to say about Clemson Football and what he is doing to help get us back on the national scene once again!




  In June, Clemson secured a verbal commitment  from the nephew of Hall of Fame QB Jim Kelly.  Kelly is the nation's No. 8 dual-threat QB by rivals.com.  Kelly is the most vocal of Clemson's 2012 recruits and is already showing leadership qualities. Earlier today, Chad talked with EyeOnTheTigers and here is what he had to say!

EyeOnTheTigers.  Hey Chad, thanks for giving us a chance to talk to you and giving us some time out of your day.

Kelly. "No problem, that's what I'm here for."

EyeOnTheTigers. Who inspired you to play football and when did you start?

Kelly. "Wow, I started playing football back in second grade.  As for who inspired me.  I would have to say my whole family.  My dad, and all my uncles.  My whole family has been really involved in football."

EyeOnTheTigers. What is your favorite sports memory?

Kelly. "That would have to be winning the state championship this year."

EyeOnTheTigers. Who is your favorite current NFL player?

Kelly. "I like a lot of NFL players.  I kind of compare my game to Mike Vick, but as for my favorite player,  it would have to be Peyton Manning."

EyeOnTheTigers. Favorite NFL player from the past?

Kelly. "My Uncle."

EyeOnTheTigers. Speaking of your uncle, how much influence has he had on your football career to this point?

Kelly. "A lot, I spend a lot of time practicing with my uncle and my dad.  Just working on my game.  We want to do everything we can to get us (Clemson) to the National Championship!"

EyeOnTheTigers.  What do you think is your greatest strength?

Kelly. "Getting out of the pocket.  When the line breaks down, getting out and making plays."

EyeOnTheTigers.  What do you feel is your biggest weakness and what are you doing to improve on it?

Kelly. "Reading defenses, at the line, knowing plays... That's what makes guys like Peyton Manning so great.  I spend a lot of time with my uncle watching film and working out.  He knows that this is a big part of the game, and who better for me to learn from?" (Laughs)

EyeOnTheTigers.  Do you think you will be able to continue bulking up so that you can take all the hits that are going to come from running Coach Morris' offense?

Kelly. (Laughs) "Oh yeah, I'm always working on getting bigger.  I work out a lot, and just have to keep eating. I'm at 210 lbs right now and I eat like seven meals a day.  My girlfriend can tell you, I'm always eating.  But I want to be at 215 to 220 pounds by the time I get down there and start school."

EyeOnTheTigers. When was the first time you heard of Clemson University?  And what were your initial thoughts about Clemson?

Kelly. "Coach Morris sent me a message on Facebook and said, "Hey, we are gonna offer you.  Give me a call."  I was like... Ok, so I called him and it took like three days for me to get in touch with him because he was always at practice.  When I got the message from Coach Morris, I was just like... Mom, Clemson offered me... Do you know where that is?  And she was like, "I think its in Tennessee." (Laughing)

EyeOnTheTigers. What do you think of the Clemson fans?

Kelly. "The fans are passionate.  I am constantly get followed on Twitter, and getting friend requests on Facebook.  Clemson's fans are the most passionate of all the schools that recruited me."

EyeOnTheTigers.  What do you think will be going through your head when you stand on top of The Hill for your first time in Death Valley?

Kelly. "Too much!  It will be a dream-come-true for me!  Standing in front of 89,000 people... It is gonna be absolutely crazy, I can't wait to get down there!"

EyeOnTheTigers. What were your main reason for choosing Clemson?

Kelly. "Everything.  Literally everything. From the academics, to the people at Waffle House.  We went in Waffle House while we were there for the Spring Game, and people kept on asking us how we were doing and asking us questions. Everyone knew us and they were all nice."

EyeOnTheTigers. You chose between a lot of good schools, most notably Clemson and Alabama.  Could you pinpoint the deciding factor between the Tigers and the Tide?

Kelly. "I love the small town atmosphere at Clemson.  Alabama was nice, but it goes back to my first trip to Clemson.  I love everything about it."

EyeOnTheTigers. How hard did Bama push for you on your trip down there?

Kelly.  "Alabama offered and we went down there, but I just didn't really feel it there.  I want to go to a small town, and make a name there.  I love the small, family atmosphere at Clemson."

EyeOnTheTigers. What players are you currently recruiting the hardest for Clemson?

Kelly.  "Nick Dawson.  I hit up the other commitments and make sure they are staying focused. I am fully committed, but I want to make sure the others like, GHopp and the rest stay on track. I have really been working on the guys for 2013.  Mainly offensive and defensive linemen. I want people to know that Clemson is recruiting top-of-the-line players and that we are gonna surprise a lot of people. Our goal is a National Championship!"

EyeOnTheTigers. Have you worked out with C.J. Spiller as rumored?

Kelly. "No, C.J. hasn't been in Buffalo since the NFL lockout. I have been working out with the Bills players though.  That has been great.  In fact, I worked out with them just yesterday."

EyeOnTheTigers. Is there any chance you could be enrolling early to get a head start at Clemson?

Kelly. "No, I love my school and don't want to miss graduation and everything there.  I would have to take some summer classes and I just want to enjoy this last year."

EyeOnTheTigers. So, do you have any plans for getting back to Clemson this fall?

Kelly. "No, unfortunately I won't be able to make it to any home games.  Most of my games are on Saturdays.  I do plan to be at the Clemson/Maryland game and I will be in Columbia for the Clemson/South Carolina game.  My uncle and some of my family will be heading down to check it out though and they will be at some of the games this year. Its going to be hard not being able to get to get down there."

EyeOnTheTigers. Alright Chad, good luck this year and we can't wait to get you down here and on the field.

Kelly.  "I'm ready to get down there."



Eye On The Tigers

1 comment:

  1. Stay commited to your goals. And they will all fall right into place.

    ReplyDelete

ESPN - NCAA College Football News

EyeOnTheTigers - Find me on Bloggers.com