Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sparks Will Fly!


  I was going through my list of DVR recordings tonight and realized I had recorded the 2009 Clemson vs Miami game.  I'm sure you have all watched it a billion times.  (They show the rerun every two weeks on ESPN Classic)  As we all know, right before halftime, Miami kicks the ball off to CJ and he takes it back to the house.  This happened a total of 7 times during his career and is the NCAA record for most kick returns for touchdown in a career.
 



  We all got used to this being the norm at Clemson, but I still feel the chills running down my spine when I watch a replay of CJ's kick returns.  Last year, we only felt those chills once on special teams and didn't feel them at all after Ellington went down against BC.  Gilchrist would have been a great kick returner for most teams, but for us... well, we are used to better. 
  We should feel those chills more often next year with Ellington back and the infusion of speed in the form of Bellamy, Watkins, Bryant, and Peake.  Don't forget Hopkins in all of our excitement as this guy could have the best hands in the ACC.  I am so excited to see what happens with Coach Morris' offense.  I am almost too young to remember Coach Rod's offense, but as young as I was, I still remember the end of his run at Clemson.  This could be the best we have seen at Clemson since the likes of Dantzler, Gardner, and Zachery.  It has been a long time since we had an offense that everyone was scared of.  Spiller was great, Ford was great, James Davis was awesome.  The problem was, that we had this talent, but not the coaches that knew how to utilize it.  With Spiller, we could score anytime he touched the ball, but we still weren't able to move the ball consistently down the field.  Now, we not only have player that can score at any time, but we also have the offensive line and players(and the O-Line coach) to grind it out and wear defenses down.
  I know we are all ready for this year, and I can't wait to see the Tigers run down that Hill and into Death Valley for the first time in 2011.  This is the beginning of a new offensive era, and hopefully, once again... Sparks will fly!

1 comment:

  1. Get ready to see and feel it again. Bellamy has speed and alusiveness!!!

    ReplyDelete

ESPN - NCAA College Football News

EyeOnTheTigers - Find me on Bloggers.com