Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Who's The Player & Who's The Coach?

USC QB Coach G.A. Mangus
 
  As we all know by now, South Carolina QB Coach GA Mangus was arrested early Tuesday morning in downtown Greenville, SC.  Mangus was seen urinating on the street curb and roadway.  Officers were called to the scene and after determining that he was drunk, Mangus was issued a ticket for $470, cuffed and taken to the Greenville County Detention Center.  According to ESPN.com, Head Coach Steve Spurrier has issued a statement suspending Mangus from the team indefinitely.

  This all comes after QB Stephen Garcia was suspended this spring for alcohol related problems at a mandatory leadership seminar.  This was Garcia's fifth suspension during his colorful career at South Carolina. (Whatever happened to three strikes and you're out?)  Now this?!  Mangus is viewed as a mentor for the troubled Garcia both on and off the field!  Anyone see a connection?
  I am a die-hard Clemson fan and nothing makes me more happy than watching things blow up in our arch-rival's faces.  This was something that I viewed as hilarious and did not surprise me in the least.  We have not come to expect anything less than totally sporadic, and unruly behavior from this Gamecock program.  I said it during the spring and I will say it again.  SPURRIER IS NO LONGER IN CONTROL OF THIS TEAM!  Players are realizing that they can act any way they want to and still get off lightly.  I fully expect more of this behavior if things aren't brought under control soon and starting with addressing the problem... Garcia and now Mangus.
  Last week, a blog was written that called for Clemson to become a more aggressive environment and blasted the University for being too soft.  I agreed with the blog and I do feel that we need to become more aggressive as fans and make Death Valley a hostile environment.  However, I do appreciate the character of our coaches.  Never once have I worried that one of our coaches would be an embarrassment to the University.  Many fans blast the "Christian" coaches and blame them for being too soft, but I will take our coaches and their moral standards any day over the junk that happens in Columbia.  When was the last time we had multiple players and coaches arrested?    
  Needless to say, I support our coaches and believe that we can win with this staff.  I don't think it takes thugs and rabble-rousers to produce a championship caliber team.  By the way, how many of you think that Spurrier will find a way to let Mangus back into the fold so that he can continue being a mentor for his quarterback?  It wouldn't surprise me one bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ESPN - NCAA College Football News

EyeOnTheTigers - Find me on Bloggers.com